BBC Sport | Football | World Edition

Friday, 2 September 2011

Gary Neville says it much better.

As if to re-iterate my thoughts, SKY and the BBC's new favourite pundit, Mr. Gary Neville explains in better detail what I meant in my previous post.


"Over the last 10 or 15 years, Spain, France, Italy, Portugal and Brazil have all been better than England.
"We need more players of higher quality who can keep the ball."
Neville, though, has high hopes for the future, with the likes of Tom Cleverley, Danny Welbeck, Jack Wilshere, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling breaking into the England set-up.
"I see a different type of player coming through - a more intelligent type of player," he said. "Players who grew up in the 1970s and 80s watched a more straight up-and-down football.
"But since the likes of [Gianfranco] Zola, [Dennis] Bergkamp, [Eric] Cantona and [Cristiano] Ronaldo came in, players are looking at more technically skilled and cultured players and England will get the benefit.
"The likes of Wilshere and Cleverley will give England a better chance of winning the World Cup.
"You cannot win [major tournaments] without keeping possession of the ball - and I see players now who can keep the ball more."  Thanks for clarifying Gary.

On to today's offering
Normally I would give the internationals a wide berth but tonight I am making an exception;
Belgium and Turkey are in a real tussle for the auto qualifying spot in Group A. Their respective coming group fixtures are not dis-similar, so I'm expecting Belgium to hunt the three points and keep the pressure on. Certainly though, I shall be scalping the 0-0 scoreline for some cover. 
I'm still undecided about the England game and will make a decision after the squad list is out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment