BBC Sport | Football | World Edition

Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Charlton 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1 - Still making school-boy errors



Somehow the keys to my office disappeared yesterday, leaving me without access to the mothership. Not too concerning as there wasn't much of a card last night but it did send me into a bit of a girly panic. Of course, they were found, exactly where they had been left after trading on Saturday.
Anyway, they were found with just enough time for me to sit down and go through the Charlton v Wednesday game. Despite Wednesday's awful away form, my ratings had the two closely matched. As such, laying the draw didn't look ideal, so I took on 1-1, 2-2, 3-0. My error came when scalping 0-0 to cover a low scoring affair. It wasn't the early goal that was the problem, the very best of traders get caught sometimes, my mistake was scalping with more than my original Correct Score stake. Now I needed one of my scores to hit just to make scratch. I don't like gambling, so I wracked my brain for a solution, which came in the form of AUQ (Any Unquoted). A very good trader, whom I had the pleasure of meeting last week, uses this method very successfully and thanks to our conversation about it, I was able to put it into practice.
My ratings did not suggest a walk over by either team, so the AUQ was laid at 5's. With finger poised, waiting for what might look like a goal, the lay stayed in until HT, covering much of the loss. After Wednesday got their deserved equaliser, scratch was available and taken.
Scalping for more than my stake was a foolish error. In truth though, even though my thinking was correct, I only traded because it was on the box and I fancied it, that was the real error.

More international rubbish tonight. Lots of cases for this and that but, surprisingly, Scotland is the only one to get through. With a result tonight, another against Lithuania next month, plus if Spain can do them a favour against the Czech Republic, they have a chance of making second in the group - albeit a slim one.

England look too short against Wales, as do Switzerland against Bulgaria. Will look to lay both and back them in the Correct Score Market.

Off to watch an old mate's nag run today at Leicester. They don't fancy it but I don't know what it's called yet, so I can't tell you to lay it.

Whatever you trade, stay green.

No comments:

Post a Comment