BBC Sport | Football | World Edition

Wednesday, 2 May 2012

...treat those two impostors the same...

For many years I have been playing a regular card game down in Fulham. It's actually not that regular anymore as we have all grown up and have children and responsibilities etc. Whenever this game takes place I have an opportunity to get together with a very good friend, for a few beers, before the game. Now, this particular friend happens to be the cleverest person I know. Which makes him very funny and witty, slightly obnoxious at times but more than forgive-ably so. He is also enormously intuitive and, literally every time we meet, gives me something new to think about, more often than not to do with trading.
I was voicing, not for the first time, just how lucky I am to be able to trade for a living and what the benefits of such a vocation are and how the idea of, once more, being an automaton within industry would turn me to stone. A specific point was, even though I am already doing very well, there is a significant chance that my skills and earning potential would/could increase greatly over time. Here is where the left field, sling shot came in -

Him "Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ideal scenario one where you treat both wins and losses the same? That you have no emotional response to either? Based on your edge ensuring the number and size of wins out-weighs the number and size of losses?"

Me "Urr, Yeh."

Him "Hmm. Where, then, is the fun in that? If you have no emotional response to the results of your continuous, in-numerous, daily actions are you not set to become an automaton?"

The twat beat me at Scrabble as well.

Stay green.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, sorry.

    You'll be able to tell when you've become an automaton: I won't be able to wind you up any more.

    Let that day never come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Lamb! An insightful question as well; and therein lies the answer to many of my trading issues I suspect - getting involved for the challenge and the thrill rather than because I'm viewing the trade, and the result, in a detached way.

    And as for losing at Scrabble... words fail me!

    ReplyDelete